Artur Bordalo (Lisbon, 1987), a.k.a. Bordalo II, follows the motto “one man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. Bordalo uses in his works recycled materials that have survived their original purpose, as a declaration of sustainability and ecological awareness.
The Racoon (2015)
“The Raccoon” is one of my favorite works from Bordalo II ( @b0rdalo_ii ) and my guests, while touring the Belem area, have the opportunity to appreciate this stunning street art installation. The Raccoon is made of parts of old cars.
This work was conceived to be seen clearly from a distance and becomes blurred when the observation point comes closer. In this small video, you may see the Raccoon going from blurred to clear as the tuk-tuk moves away, a kind of effect causing usually a lot of “wows” in the rear seats.
The Raccoon of Bordalo can be seen in Belem, near the CCB. Included in tour “Street Art”
The Fox (2017)
This fox is decorating the ruins of an old warehouse in the industrial zone near the river. This work is made out of recycled plastic chairs.
The Fox of Bordalo can be seen in 24th July Av, not far from Time Out Market. Included in tour “Street Art”.
The Honey Bee (2016)
This bee can be visited in Lx Factory and is made of plastic ducts, shower curtains, car bumpers and wire nets.
American artist Shepard Fairey (Charleston, 1970) and Portuguese Vhils (Lisbon, 1987) are both world-renowned artists. A mural decorated by any of them would always be interesting, but what makes this work in Graça brilliant is the perfect combination of two such different styles. A case where the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
From the viewpoint of Senhora do Monte, there is a panoramic view over the city of Lisbon. Looking towards the river Tagus, the hill of the castle of S. Jorge is a must for visitors. The flat area to the right of the castle hill is Baixa, the area rebuilt after the 1755 earthquake and bordered by Rossio and Figueira squares on one side and Praça do Comércio by the river. Further to the right we have Chiado, with the ruins of the Carmo Church and Santa Justa lift. Further on, we can see the 25 April bridge and Christ statue.
In the foreground you can see the neighborhood of Mouraria and Martim Moniz square, where the tram 28 starts and ends. Right in front is the viewpoint of S. Pedro de Alcântara and Bairro Alto. On the horizon line you can see the white dome of the Basilica of Estrela.
Many locals and visitors look for the Senhora do Monte viewpoint to watch the sunset.
The name of the viewpoint is given by the chapel of Senhora do Monte, which existed on the site since 1147 and was rebuilt at the end of the 18th century.
Senhora do Monte viewpoint is included in the “old city” tour.
Santa Luzia viewpoint is the most Instagramable spot of Lisbon. Built on the old wall, offers a privileged view over Alfama, the oldest neighborhood of Lisbon, over the Tagus and the south bank.
From this viewpoint it’s possible to see Pantheon and the church of Saint Stephan. Towards the river there is the pink building of Museum of Fado and the church of Saint Michael. In Tagus banks there is the modern Cruise Ship Terminal.
The name of the viewpoint was borrowed from the imposing Santa Luzia Church of the Sovereign Order of Malta. In the Church’s wall there are 2 magnificent panels of tiles, representing the conquest of Lisbon in 1147 and the other the medieval Square of Commerce as existed before the earthquake of 1755.
Santa Luzia viewpoint is included in tour “Old Lisbon”.
Belem Tower is the lonely sentinel of the city of Lisbon. Built on the right bank of the Tagus as a defensive structure, it has been welcoming during the last 5 centuries those who enter and leave Lisbon by sea.
Built between 1514 and 1519 (architect Francisco de Arruda) it is the jewel in the crown of Portuguese architecture. The style of construction is Manueline as can be seen from the exuberant decoration in elements of nature.
Belem Tower is like a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Despite its candid air, it could fire 16 cannons simultaneously. When the tower lost its military importance, it was successively used as a prison, lighthouse, border post and is currently one of Lisbon’s main tourist attractions.